Preparing Your Child for Their Next Doctor's Appointment
The new school year is upon us. No matter what grade your child is about to enter, an annual physical exam by your family's pediatrician is an important part of your child's health care. Rachel Merrill, mom of two, RN and MGA Clinical Supervisor, offers five tips to help prepare your little ones for their next appointment.
- Use developmentally appropriate terminology with your kids to explain why they are going to the doctor and what to expect out of the visit. This has come in handy with my youngest and all of his medical issues and follow-ups with specialists.
- Let your children have a role in their health (parent to determine how much). This helps them gain confidence and independence with their body.
- Prepare your child in advance and give them a small notice of when the appointment will happen.
- Listen to you child and answer any questions they may have - they are little sponges starving to learn.
- Be prepared for your visit. Have immunization records, current insurance cards, updated contact information, and any questions you may have for the MD prepared.
Did you find this article helpful? Let us know in the comments below.