MGA In the Kitchen: Honoring American Heart Month
In celebration of American #HeartMonth, MGA Homecare is sharing with you some of the American Heart Association‘s best heart-healthy recipes. Grab a buddy and get cookin!
Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 teaspoons canola or corn oil
- 2 medium shallot(chopped)
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed (about 3 cups)
- 3 cups fat-free, low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons minced, peeled gingerroot
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper(coarsely ground preferred)
- 1/3 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated or ground nutmeg
- Heat oil in pressure cooker on saute. Cook shallots for 3 minutes, or until soft, stirring frequently. Turn off the pressure cooker.
- Stir in squash, gingerroot, salt, and pepper. Secure the lid. Cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. Allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then quickly release remaining pressure. Turn off the pressure cooker. Remove pressure cooker lid.
- Allow the soup to cool slightly. Working in batches, transfer the soup to a blender (vent the blender lid) and puree until smooth. Use caution as the soup and steam are hot and vent the blender lid away from you. Return the soup to the pressure cooker.
- stir in the half-and-half. Cook on the saute setting for 2 to 3 minutes, or until heated through stirring frequently. lade the soup into bowls. Sprinkle with the nutmeg.
Fish Tacos with Broccoli Slaw
- 1 cup water
- 4 firm white fish fillets(about 4 ounces each), such as cod or halibut, 3/4 to 1 inch thick, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups broccoli slaw
- 1/4 cup chopped, fresh cilantro
- 1 medium green onion(thinly sliced)
- 3 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 4 6-inch corn tortillas
- Pour the water into the pressure cooker. Place the steaming rack in the pressure cooker. Place the fish on the rack.
- in a small bowl, stir together the chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder. Sprinkle the mixture over the fish. Secure the lid Cook on high pressure for 4 minutes. Quickly release the pressure.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together the broccoli slaw, cilantro, and green onion, tossing gently to combine, Stir in the mayonnaise and lime juice until blended.
- Heat a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Warm the tortillas, one at a time, turning until heated through. Transfer to a work surface. Place the fish on the tortillas. Top with the slaw. Serve immediately and enjoy!
For more fun recipes, visit: recipes.heart.org